RSS

Monday, April 27, 2009

Coconut Latte


As part of the Specific Carbohydrate diet I am not allowed to eat lactose or soy. This has been one of the harder parts of the diet for me, because it is hard to find a substitute. The diet works in steps, so until now I have not been able to introduce coconut or coconut milk. Last night I tried coconut milk for the first time. It must be pure 100% coconut milk with no additives. I got wonderful idea...
I have worked hard to get used to drinking coffee black and now do it on a daily basis. Being in Paris is does make me a little sad to see all of the yummy lattes being drank. SO I decided to try to make a Coconut milk latte. It was DE-Licous! I used a french press with more coffee grinds and only poured 3/4 of the way full with water. Then I heated up my coconut milk in the microwave. There was a 3:1 ratio of Espresso to Coconut milk. I added a little honey and some cinnamon and it was really great!
Coconut milk is really good for you despite the bad name it has gotten for having high fat content. The fat is "good" fat, meaning it is easily converted into energy and therefore is not converted to fat or contribute to high cholesterol. Additionally it has a high level of anti-biotic properties and is often used in treating chronically ill patients with diseases like AIDS and Cancer. SO drink up!

0 comments: