RSS

Monday, January 11, 2010

Sweet Potato Veal Stew


I have decided that this month is sweet potato month. I have rediscovered it's delightful taste and versatility, so you will see a few more recipes coming up! I made this the other night for dinner, on a cold rainy night and it hit the spot. I made enough for left overs for lunch all week long. Soup with my Hummus bread on the side warms up my winter days.


Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato
1/2 bag of frozen spinach
1/2 can white beans
1 medium red onion
3 garlic cloves
1 pound ground veal
2 tablespoons thyme
2 tablespoons sage
1 tablespoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Bake sweet potato at 425 until soft. Remove from oven and peel. Chop sweet potato into small pieces. Boil 8 cups of water, add sweet potatoes and mash with potato masher until pieces disappear. Add beans, meat, onion, garlic and herbs to water. Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour. If the soup becomes too thick then add more water. After an hour add spinach and simmer for another 30 minutes. Soup should be moderately thick but still have a broth element as opposed to a porridge. This soup keeps well in the fridge and is very filling. Bon appetite!

0 comments: