RSS

Thursday, March 18, 2010

How un-hungry are you? Try to"IF"


Last Saturday my Mom and I took Lulu for a long walk to the Starbucks for their weekly special blend. We left around 10:30 and got home around 12:30. I realized that I hadn't eaten anything and really I wasn't HUNGRY, meaning I could eat, but wasn't feeling like i needed to eat. I should tell you I always eat breakfast and always eat it on time. I realized it felt pretty good to not have had breakfast! So I waited until 2 to have my lunch.
Lately I have been spending so much time at home, which is great for baking, but also allows me to fall into a pattern of eating out of habit. Many of us have our daily routine: wake up, breakfast, rush to work, lunch, meeting, etc... Do you stop before that breakfast and say "hey, body!? are you hungry in there?". I really don't ask my body that before I sit down with my omelet and coffee. Then lunchtime rolls around and I will eat something light, even if I don't feel that hunger pain, cause...well...it's lunch! Now don't get me wrong, I don't sit down with a huge burger and fries, but still, I am eating when my body is not asking for food.
There are a few methods of eating: the graze all day, the 5 small meals etc. It seems I have been introduced to Intermittent Fasting or "IF". Studies have shown that IF can help with metabolism, weight loss, neurological oxidative stress, memory, LDL, triglycerides, blood pressure, insulin and blood sugar levels. Sounds pretty good huh!? Now this isn't some new starvation diet. Looking towards my diet's roots: the Paleo or Primal ideologies, it is very natural for all living things to have some uneven patterns in eating--where food would be more scarce than others. It would seem that our bodies aren't built to have food constantly put in them day after day, and a little black out time would be totally natural biologically.
Now look-- I like food, if you're reading my blog you do too. So start small: skip breakfast, if you feel okay skip lunch and have a snack around 4 and then have regular dinner. Do what you can! Btw, having fruit juice is NOT allowed (tea and coffee ok- no sugar/ honey, it will mess up blood sugar). This isn't something you should be doing every day or even every other day, but maybe once a week or so. Mark Sisson of Primal Blue Print highly recommends IF, and has a few really great articles on IF's benefits (link at bottom). Remember you can start small: try not eating until around 4, or even until dinner, once a week and see how it goes. It has made me realize that I am eating way more than I need, which puts an unhealthy pressure and stress on my body. I'm a convert!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/feast-or-famine-diet/

0 comments: