RSS

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Chocolate Cookie Sheet Cake


I love this cake be it looks so simple and normal, you would never ever think it was anything special-- but it is! It's light and fluffy with a rich chocolate flavor that isn't too intense or sweet. It really is one of a kind. My whole life I have had chocolate cookie sheet cake as my birthday cake. It is my absolute favorite! Before my endoscopy testing for Celiac I made the cake with the original recipe and ate the whole thing myself (in 2 days)-- it was disgusting, but I loved it. Last year was my first birthday with Celiac and my first birthday without the cake. For my birthday this year I decided that I would need to recreate it as close as possible. Considering I do not eat grain flour or sugar, this would be a difficult feat. Also, many recipes include nuts, I leave them out because I think they interfere with the fluffy taste. After a whole day of testing this was pretty darn close...and I did eat most of it.

Allergy Resume: Grain-free, Sugar-free, Gluten-free!

Ingredients:
2 cups Coconut flour
2/3 cup Stevia
2 1/2 sticks of Butter
5 tablespoons Cocoa powder
1 cup Boiling water
3/4 cup Buttermilk
7 eggs
1 tablespoon Honey
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon Apple Cider

Mix eggs, buttermilk together in a bowl. Melt butter and add to the mixture. In a seperate bowl mix cocout flour, cocoa powder and stevia. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture and stir well, so that there are no clumps. Add boiling water and honey and continue to stir. Lastly add baking soda and apple cider, mix well. On a well greased cookie sheet, pour chocolate mixture and bake or about 20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean. Let sit for only 5 minutes before adding frosting.

Frosting ingredients:
2 cup Palm shortening
1/4 cup Honey
2 tablespoons Stevia
5 squares of baking chocolate
1 cup of Cocoa powder

Measure out 2 cups of palm shortening and place in bowl. Melt chocolate squares in microwave and add to shortening, then mix with electric mixer. Add stevia, cocoa powder and stevia and mix again for several minutes until frosting is light and fluffy. Microwave for about 10-20 seconds to make frosting more malleable so you can pour it onto the cake. Smooth out and let sit. Frosting will seep into the cake a bit (which is good) and harden on top once cake and frosting have cooled. I recommend serving this cake warm-- it truley is a different cake, but is still very good at room temp. Perfect with a scoop of ice cream ;-) Happy Birthday!

0 comments: