RSS

Thursday, July 8, 2010

My break... then "Egg in the Hole"


I took a little break from blogging this past week. I haven't been feeling very well, most of you know I have Lyme disease and it can be a tough battle. I had been really excited to plan some great things to cook up for the 4th of July, which turned out to be a bust so I didn't end up making any of it :-/ SO anyways-- I took a different turn and went back to a basic for me: Egg in the hole.

When I was little I made this with bread, where you cut a hole in the center, crack the egg in the hole and then back in the oven. This was my favorite breakfast EVER, it was probably the first thing I could cook on my own. Well I wanted to make a new adult version and this is what I came up with!


Ingredients:
1 bell pepper
1 tablespoon cheese (any type you like!)
1 egg and 1 egg white (or two eggs)
1 tablespoon chopped zucchini
1 tablespoon chopped olives
1 tablespoon chopped spinach
(you can add your favorite omelet veggies too)

Take bell pepper and cut the bottom third off (horizontally, to make a cup). Place bell pepper cup in the oven for about 15 minutes on 400, or until it slightly softens. When the bell pepper is no longer raw, remove from oven. In a small bowl combine egg white (or whole egg, which ever you prefer) and all of your chopped veggies and cheese. Pour veggie mixture into the bell pepper cup. Next on top of the cup, crack the remaining egg so that it is sunny side up and place back in the oven for another 10 minutes. The egg on top should be a little runny but not raw, if you like your egg well done then leave it in the oven for another 3-5 minutes. Then ENJOY!

0 comments: